How our mattresses are made
Millbrook Contract Beds have a reputation for quality construction and classic design, as found on the luxury lines, which we have provided for almost 70 years. Our beds and mattresses are made with the pride and care of a company who prizes its long-held reputation for excellence.
– At its centre the mattress is made up of springs, either luxurious pocket-nested springs or the more economical open coil spring. Springs are also incorporated into the divan base, establishing a firm foundation for the mattress to rest on. We were one of the first pocket sprung bed companies to achieve B.S. 5750, British standard quality assurance.
– The use of DPSS® is where a double row of springs is added to each side of the mattress in order to prevent sleep disturbance, and where there is added resistance to the heavier parts of the body, such as hips and shoulders.
– Most of our high quality mattresses are upholstered with loose fibres, such as cotton or pashmina. These mattresses also have tufts, cords of fibres passing through the mattress, in order to prevent the migration of fibres to the edge of the mattress. The use of soft material and fibres is to allow muscles to relax and for the prevention of blood restriction around pressure points. This encases the layers of springs within the core of the mattress.
– The stitching of mattresses is the most highly skilled and labour intensive of the production of our mattresses. Side-stitching is carried out by senior upholsterers who use long needles and twine to make borders and edges stronger using traditional techniques, preventing distortion and damage to the springs inside.
– Drawers are fitted to the divan with small ball-bearing for a smooth action and ease of use.
– The weight of the sumptuous mattress means they requires a timber frame divan, finished and glued by hand for exceptional longevity and strength. Sprung bases offer greater levels of comfort and prolong the life of the mattress.
Please take a moment to view range of handmade beds and mattresses, or give us a call to discuss your requirements